Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Prodigal Trilogy Poem

I've been blogging a little more on my Tumblr page, so you can check that if you wish. Clickity clack that word there!

Going through my journal, I came across more of my poems. Been a while since I’ve penned anything in it. My last entry was…pretty depressing, but God wants our real emotions. We cannot be stoic. I’ve had a rough inner struggle the past year or so and quite honestly have almost abandoned my faith (for the record, I did not and will not).  My last entry in January talked about it, Then I looked to the verse printed (by the makers, not me) on the bottom of the page: “May The Lord of peace Himself give you peace in all times and in every way”. 2 Thessalonians 3:16 BOOM! God thing there! Wish…I noticed it then. Sure I fail along the way, but trying to continue following Jesus is all I can do! When we realize that Christianity is not rules or morals, not words or feelings (even though feelings are part of it) but just Jesus taking our place and that God is not some punisher like a kid taking a magnifying glass to us ants, the freedom lifts ALL burdens and sins off of our backs! It feels incredible! 
God has chisel and glue in hand  to repair the brokenness. Only He can, not these temporary fixes that bite me back in the arse. Not even my deepest desires. God wants to (and will) restore ALL things and make them new..*yes that includes us*! I hold onto that hope, the bravest thing of all is always hope.. 
My favourite passage in Scripture is the parable of the prodigal son. Even in the dirt and the depths of our sins, God will pursue us and run after us even when we spit in his face or run away. That love…is so much huger than we can fathom! I wrote this kind of like a 3 act play, 3 different soliloquies (man I haven’t used that word since grade 10 English..Shakespeare ftw!). I spoke about this parable when I was baptized in 2005. Forgive me if I posted this before.. written Nov-Dec 2012. 
Act 1: Son 1
I've had enough, I’m walking home.
The only place where true love is shown.
In every way I often fail.
Still God sees me as a holy grail.
More sought after than any prize
I am precious in my fathers eyes.
When I tell him of my sin
Without speaking he lets me in
A robe, a feast, a party for me
Deserving not, but praise to Thee!
Act 2: Son 2
Working hard, in the hot sun
Days a long, fruits almost none
I often hear my fathers cries
for my brother to return; HE LIES!
I work harder than anyone here
He takes off, far not near
Being foolish, perverse and just dumb
Surely he’s not my father’s son
See now, he returns and repents
He deserves it not, I must confess
I’m not going to see that fool
At least until my temper does cool
Act 3: The Father
As I watch for my son from afar
I seek a sign for his return, wishing on a star
My two sons, working hard night and day,
Until one decided to go far away.
To find himself in a dirty pit of sin
Where not even the pigs would let him in.
I see him now! He now comes near!
My other son is bitter, I fear.
My son my son! I forgive and forget
The sinfulness, the shame and regret
Be happy, be blessed in Christ on this day
In him is the truth, the life and the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment