Sunday, May 15, 2011

Judas

Judas Iscariot always gets a bad rep when preached about, and rightfully so (mostly?)
I taught a short lesson on Judas today and it got me thinking of him. First off, when talking about Judas, the popular nickname given to him is "the betrayer" or "sellout". However, Judas did do ministry with Jesus for 3 years! It's mind blowing how a guy ate, drank with Jesus and SAW him do miracles and healing like the other apostles would betray him. Matthew 26 is where the events unfold.

It's interesting to note that the prophet Zechariah foretells details about the betrayal of Christ being for 30 pieces of silver. in Chapter 11:12-13 the events unfold (this is really considered a portrayal of Judas) I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!" So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages.  Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD. 

Jesus being the God-man knew someone would betray him (yeah! knew it was Judas) and did He regret selling out the most high for silver? (of course! the guy hanged himself).

Was he part of God's redemptive plan for humanity? If there wasn't a "Judas" would the Crucifixion still have taken place? These are many questions that come from this study.

In Acts we learn that Mathias replaces Judas to complete the 12 once again. They separate and start to fulfill the Great Commission (which I might blog about soon).

Judas might of been unsatisfied with his status or simply unable to be self-controlled (its very hard)/ He was easy prey for the desires of money and power to sell out Jesus. So, if there is something in your life that might hold you back from Christ, let it go!

Keep running the race set before you! Jesus loves you!

I leave you with an amazing song by Showbread called Mathias Replaces Judas (Reese Roper guest vocals) 

B T dubs; I decided its 2011 and joined twitter follow: Fretz0matic@twitter  (thats a zero after the z)

Psalm 103:1-3
Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
2    Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits;
3    Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases;

No comments:

Post a Comment