Saturday, February 13, 2010

Listener

Since I have been an intern at a local church I have learned the importance of listening. It is tough when I have the attention span of the dog from Up... SQUIRREL !!
but when they begin talking about tough issues, I must listen. There was an instance last night and I wont go into details. It was the first time I had such an experience with youth, there is a trust factor involved. Trust for confidentiality. As well as encouragement. I enjoy the conversations I have with youth, learning the difficulties they face and as a leader I can direct them gradually to a Christ-centered focused. For those who don't know Christ as their Savior, exposure to a Christian atmosphere would enable them to make a choice. Forcing the gospel down their throat would not likely go over well. Ministry is relational, and is how Jesus did it. Does not mean we should not challenge people to change. That's where my teaching comes in. I want to challenge the youth but not be so intense and forceful.

I am totally enjoying the ministry I am doing. Perhaps I shall work in a church after all.

1 comment:

  1. That's the way to do it, good job. I never exactly say thou shalt / thou shalt not. What I try to do is show them God's way and encourage them to see the benefits certain choices can provide.

    ReplyDelete