Friday, January 23, 2009

Greed of Consumerism is swallowing us.

Although I have been guilty of this, consumerism as of late has really been making me sick. I'll take Christmas for example. To the Christian, it is a time of celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ (despite the fact he might not of been born in December, originally derived from a pagan holiday. But going on. I used to love Christmas, everything about it. But now marketing has ruined it. Now December 25th seems to be an excuse to buy gifts. It's taken away my love for the day. Yes, I like presents and I like giving but it just bothers me seeing where the world has taken this once important feeling day. Now, I like gifts and giving but it has gotten ridiculous. The line-ups, the crowds. So unnecessary. Like, those self-checkouts: so convenient but do you cut a person off with a large cart with at least $500 in it? When someone has like a $30 purchase to get in and out. Seems unjust.

Black Friday, in the USA is right after their Thanksgiving and is the biggest shopping day of the year. People stupidly line up for days and hours to "get the best deals" which in my mind is pathetic. Even more pathetic that people get so worked up when stores open that a few people end up getting trampled to death every year. I assume the people stomping on the victim have no care and a one track mind: to buy the best deal.
Here in Canada malls are open late, people line up for hours to see a fat man in a red suit and I see none of this "Christmas Cheer" I hear so much about, but instead pushing and shoving to get to the cheapest copy of Tickle Me Elmo Remix 2008 Edition. When/If I have kids, I will try not to spoil them.
Such greed is consuming God's world, there's never enough.

I guess I am just ranting, or I'm a contstant complainer.

Over and Out

keep your stick on the ice

1 comment:

  1. Hey Fretzy, these are some good thoughts. I also am utterly flabbergasted by the consumerism of Christmas. I've decided to intentionally abstain from Christmas this year in 2009. I don't like how the goodness of gift-giving has been perverted, that you feel you must "check people off your list" of things you have to buy for people. I much prefer to make unique, personal gifts for my friends or pick up something they would really like just because - not because the economy and media is telling me too. I feel that Christmas in Canada robs me of my experience of Christ, of his goodness and providence, and of the joy of blessing others - thus why I am opting out this year.

    Keep writing! Your blog is great thus far!

    ReplyDelete